Deadline; 16th September
The Women’s International Peace Centre and the Uganda Women’s Network are searching for qualified and competent candidates to fill the following positions on behalf of the Women’s Situation Room for the 2021 elections in Uganda.
The Women’s Situation Room (WSR) is a neutral, non-partisan mechanism that mobilizes women and youth to promote peaceful and democratic electoral processes. The WSR also promotes the enhanced participation of women in peace building in line with the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325.
Founded by The Angie Brooks International Centre in Liberia, the WSR was first implemented in 2011 during the presidential elections in Liberia. It has, since then, been replicated in Uganda in 2016 and in other African countries including Senegal, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Nigeria and Ghana. It has been acknowledged as an effective mechanism for promoting peaceful elections by the United Nations Security Council and by the African Union, which requested that the WSR be implemented in all African elections.
The WSR involves all electoral stakeholders in consultative engagements to ensure peace before, during and after elections. It includes a physical Situation Room where women are involved in advocacy for peace; political and legal analysis of the situation; and interventions that may include mediation to avert conflict.
The overall objective of the WSR Uganda 2021 is to promote the full and active participation of women and youth in ensuring peaceful elections and to contribute to the strengthening and refinement of the WSR mechanism for ensuring peace in African elections. The Women’s Situation Room Uganda will be hosted by Uganda Women’s Network (UWONET); with the Women’s International Peace Centre serving as the WSR Secretariat.
The Women’s Situation Room is a non-partisan space, and candidates applying for any of the positions must be committed to being neutral and non-partisan during the full course of their assignment with the Women’s Situation Room.
Deadline – 16th September 2020
Interested candidates should send applications and CVs including three references with contact details and copies of academic and professional testimonials by email to: email@example.com
The Executive Director,
Plot 1 Martyr’s Garden B,
Minister’s Village, Ntinda,
Any inquiries should be submitted through the email addresses listed above. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. The successful candidate should be able to start immediately.
Job title: Technical Advisor
Number of Positions: 1 (One)
Duty Station: Kampala
Reporting to: Host Organisation and ABIC
Contract Term: 18 Months
Reporting to the Host Organisation and Angie Brooks International Centre, the WSR Technical Advisor will provide on the ground, hands-on guidance in the following areas:
- Planning and Preparations
- Participate in the conceptualisation, planning and organisation of the WSR 2021
- Support the setting up of the Steering Committee and participate in Steering Committee meetings
- Support the production of documents, information materials, literature and publications for the WSR
- Support the identification and recruitment of national and international Eminent Women, with emphasis on non-partisanship and neutrality to protect the credibility of the WSR
- Assist in linkages to relevant authorities and stakeholders
- Advocate, promote and provide clarifications on the WSR and its objectives wherever necessary.
- Orientation and Capacity Building
- Support ABIC in the orientation of the Steering Committee, the WSR Secretariat staff and consultants and the Eminent Women on the WSR process
- Support the review of WSR training programmes and tools from ABIC for contextualisation to the Uganda situation
- Support the Training of Trainers (TOT) for the Youth Peer-to-Peer process, the Women Peace Advocates and the Election Observers
- Ensure local capacity building in all ABIC support and technical guidance
- Partnerships and Advocacy
- Promote the WSR, its goal, objectives, spirit and values throughout the process
- Support the establishment of linkages with key elections management institutions and other stakeholders
- Media Support
- Provide technical assistance to the implementation of a viable Communications and Media strategy
- Support the WSR Secretariat in the management of the Media in the interest of promoting and protecting the WSR
- Ensure proper documentation of the WSR Uganda experiences for Lessons and Best Practices for application in future WSRs in Africa.
- Coordination of the Eminent Women and the Group of The Wise
- Serve as Team Leader for the WSR Eminent Women
- Promote the non-partisan and neutral nature and spirit of the WSR to ensure protection of the integrity of the mechanism by the Eminent Women and the Group of The Wise.
- Technical Support to the Physical Room
Provide support to the Host Organization and the ABIC Coordinator in the day to day management and coordination of the activities of the WSR.
- Post Elections Coordination
- Provide support to ABIC in the coordination of the planned Review and Capacity Building of the WSR mechanism for its ongoing improvement and refinement
- Provide the link between the WSR Uganda 2021 and the planned continental Review
- Provide support to the WSR Uganda Secretariat in its management of the Continental Review meeting and capacity building of the WSR mechanism.
- Sensitivity to and ability to manage in a politically charged environment
- Ability to demonstrate political neutrality and non-partisanship
- Leadership: ability to persuade others to follow
- Communication: ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to manage complexities
- Ability to manage multi stakeholders
Education and Experience:
- First Degree or Master’s Degree or equivalent in social sciences, Economics, Law, Public or Business Administration; Human Rights, Gender or Women’s Studies, International Development, Peace and Security or a related field is required
- Training and experience in Mediation
- Minimum of 10 years of programme management experience in the field of governance and development
- Proven experience in coordination and networking
- Previous experience as an Eminent Woman in at least two other WSRs
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- Fluency in English is required